African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protocol Assistant
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: GS5
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Divisions, including the Office of the President, the Independent Development Evaluation Department, the Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department, the Compliance Review and Mediation Department, the Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board, the Administrative Tribunal, the Office of the Auditor General, the Group Risk Management Function Directorate, the General Counsel and Legal Services Department, the Communications and External Relations Department, the Staff Integrity and Ethics Office, and the Office of the Secretary-General & General Secretariat.
- The role of the Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat (PSEG) is to facilitate the delivery of the objectives of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy (TYS), the High 5s, and Development and Business Delivery Model (DBDM) by enhancing the decision-making process of the governance organs and forging a better working relationships with the shareholders and host countries of the Bank.
- The Office of the Secretary-General and Secretariat-General comprises:
- The Front Office of the Secretary-General, which has the responsibility of managing the Records Management and Archives Section, Corporate Governance and Shareholders Relations Section and Conferences and Meetings Section
- The Board Affairs and Proceedings Division; and (iii) Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division.
- The main functions of the Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division (PSEG.2) are to provide protocol services and manage relations with the Bank Group headquarters or host country offices of the Bank Group and diplomatic missions.
- The mission of the Protocol Assistant is to support the organisation of all Bank meetings.
- This position has been established to provide direction and assistance to senior management and all organisational units of the Bank in the various activities related to the organisation of meetings, conferences and ceremonies.
Under the overall supervision of the Principal Protocol Officer, the Protocol Assistant will perform the following:
- Prepare seating plans and tent cards for meetings, conferences and ceremonies, including statutory meetings of the Boards of Governors and Boards of Directors.
- Provide technical assistance to the organisers of meetings and conferences.
- Assist in the management of events organised by the Bank
- Ensure protocol logistics in meeting rooms
- Assist organisational units in identifying meeting rooms at hotels and other venues that meet protocol requirements.
- Compile information and adapt it into protocol plans for the proper preparation and conduct of the Bank Group’s statutory meetings.
- Provide general administrative support for logistical and operational matters.
- Contribute to the smooth communication and coordination of activities with clients and partners.
- Follow up with the relevant organisational units on all work with protocol implications.
- Contribute to the organisation of the Bank Group’s Annual Meetings, particularly as concerns protocol logistics.
- Ensure the proper storage of all protocol equipment, including tent cards, table flags and flags.
- Monitor the use of flags at the Headquarters building, ensuring that the applicable protocol standards are complied with at all times.
Selection Criteria (Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Diplomacy, Law, Administration, Event Management or any other related discipline.
- Possess at least four (4) years of experience in the area of Protocol, Public Relations or Public Administration.
- Experience in a multicultural environment is desirable.
- General knowledge of protocol and similar experience in an intergovernmental organisation.
- Familiarity with diplomatic norms and procedures.
- Sound knowledge of corporate governance bodies.
- Organisational skills, team spirit, ability to handle pressure
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficiency in standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and Visio).
Application Closing Date
17th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position does not attract international terms and conditions of employment. (The post holder will be considered a local staff and will not have international status).