African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Budget and Resource Management Coordinator
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL3
- The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The SNVP will lead senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of Board and Management decisions.
The Hiring Departments
- The primary role of the Programming and Budget Department (SNPB) is to develop a strategic approach to planning and budgeting, and to coordinate the definition, planning, implementation and monitoring of Bank-wide programming and budgeting processes.
- The Budget Execution Coordination Division (SNPB2) is responsible for budget execution coordination and support through the coordination of the work program planning, budgeting and resource management at the various Complexes in close consultation with all stakeholders throughout the Budget cycle.
- It is also responsible for performance monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the work program and budget.
- It contributes to the development of KPIs and provides quantitative and qualitative analyses on the Bank’s performance for information, control and decision making. In addition, it is in charge of implementing capacity building programs on budgeting and resource management.
- The primary role of the Chief Budget and Resource Management Coordinator (BRMC) is to monitor and to oversee the coordination of the work program in the assigned Complex(es), to provide specialist advice and guidance on budget and resource management issues, and to promote capacity building among the clients including the Directors, Head of Units, Managers, Budget focal persons and staff.
- The BRMC will also work in partnership with assigned clients to proactively seek to understand their business priorities, to better guide them and implement a range of creative solutions that support the growth and development of the Bank in line with the strategic priorities.
- Working closely with Complex front office(s) the Resource Management Coordinator’s main responsibility is to ensure efficient use of resources and effective delivery of the work program.
To achieve this, working within the overall framework of the Budget Department, and engaging directly with the Complex, the incumbent will:
- Ensure that: (i) the preparation and implementation of the Work Program and Budget of the Complex is well coordinated; (ii) the resources allocated to the Work Program are aligned with the Bank’s strategic priorities, and (iii) the budget is executed in line with those priorities, Bank guidelines and policies.
- Ensure that budget reforms and enhancements are well embedded into the day-to-day activities of the client units.
- Ensure that budget re-allocation and reprogramming proposals/ requests are based on substance, need, and are in conformity with Bank policies, priorities and commitments.
- Enhance the knowledge and capacity of the Complex on budget preparation, spending and reporting procedures to ensure compliance with the budget management guidelines, principles, and international best practice.
- Strengthen the Performance and Accountability framework and culture (resource utilization and results), through monitoring of and reporting on the Complex’s work program and budget performance.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Budget Execution Coordination, the Resource Management Coordinator will:
- Act as the key strategic advisor to the Complex Vice-President, Management team and budget focal persons on all planning and budgeting matters; reinforce the budget network to promote knowledge sharing.
- Coordinate the preparation of administrative expenses and capital expenditure budgets within the Complex and ensure that timely inputs are provided for the three-year rolling plan and budget documents
- Be involved in the preparation and implementation of work programme agreements (WPA) discussion and finalization between Regions, Sectors and the Ecosystems in the context of the One Bank Business Delivery Model.
- Actively engage with the Vice-President, the Directors/Head of Units, Managers and Budget Focal Persons, on a regular basis, to ensure the effective delivery of the Work Program and improve performance in line with the Bank’s strategy and the institutional priorities
- Advise on and coordinate, under the leadership of the Vice-President, the work program and budget arbitration process within the Complex. This includes negotiating with various interest groups to reach a workable consensus that will promote the achievement of strategic corporate goals and financial sustainability.
- Participate in the budget department’s periodic review of the regulatory framework and institutional governance of the Bank’s programming and budget processes and take initiative to improve the budget processes and procedures.
- Coordinate with the HR team (People & Talent Management Complex) in the preparation and updates of staffing plans by Departments and ensure the consistency of the Complex’s staffing plan with its budget for the given planning period.
- Conduct due diligence reviews on requests for budget transfer; ensure that they conform to Bank rules and are approved by the relevant authority in accordance with the delegation of authority matrix
- Regularly analyse the expenditure postings in the complex in order to detect any anomalies, errors and invalid commitments; and follow-up for corrective action where required.
- Consistently review the budget execution patterns and anticipate budget shortfalls or under-execution, communicate same to the Complex Management team through regular budget reports and take proactive measures accordingly.
- Take initiative to design, develop and implement full-fledged customized capacity building/training/coaching programs (including training content) for each Complex and bank-wide on IT budgeting systems and tools, budget planning, resource management and monitoring in order to promote compliance with budget management principles, guidelines and procedures, and better value for money.
- Lead and intensify communication on budget related topics and issues at all levels throughout the Complex and ensure that issues requiring timely attention are identified and acted on promptly.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to the budget focal persons and create an environment for creative thinking in order to sustain continuous improvement to the budget processes. Lead change management efforts within the Complex to ensure understanding and uptake of key budget reforms, initiatives and process /system enhancements by the leadership team and budget focal persons.
- Promote and follow-up on the timely completion of staff time inputs into the Activity Time Recording System (ATRS), ensuring the timely resolution of issues that impact upon the effective and efficient operation of ATRS across the Complex.
- Advise on, and contribute to the development of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) & related targets for the Complex and ensure their consistency with overall Bank strategic KPIs. Coordinate the preparation of the budget and work programme performance reports for the assigned organization units and ensure their integration into various statutory and institutional reports required by Management and the Boards.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Business administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics or related fields;
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant work experience; previous exposure to international, multicultural contexts would be an asset, and having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Strong knowledge and experience of budget and work program implementation processes in Multilateral Development Banks or organizations similar to the Bank will be an added advantage.
- Capacity for conceptual and strategic analysis and good command of budget planning and management matters. Ability to communicate complex and sensitive information effectively to various audiences in an intercultural environment as appropriate.
- Ability to disseminate knowledge and lead communications on budget preparation and management, and performance reporting.
- Ability to accurately interpret budgetary implications of strategic business decisions and other Board and Senior Management instructions and on that basis provide sound advice and coaching to leaders and other colleagues to achieve expected outcomes.
- Ability to develop budget Capacity building programs for the different audiences to suit evolving needs and leverage appropriate resources to ensure its timely implementation and meaningful outcomes and deliverables.
- Ability to manage competing priorities among various stakeholders throughout the budget cycle through in-depth dialogue, effective negotiations and knowledge sharing to achieve efficiency in budgetary resource allocation and utilization and assure value for money to the Bank.
- Strong leadership and Team Working Skills – ability to build strong win-win partnerships and lead teams toward successful delivery of key goals. Strong negotiation skills, coupled with the ability to build partnerships.
- Capacity to diagnose and resolve multiple, concurrent problems as well as managing multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of SAP or equivalent ERP Systems and standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
Application Closing Date
1st September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.